Who are we?
Lynchburg Junior Woman’s Club was organized on March 23, 1947 as part of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs of Virginia, one of the largest organization of women in the world. LJWC is a member of the Alice Kyle District.
Our membership is made up of teachers, business owners, college students, engineers, bankers, real estate agents, homemakers and healthcare professionals to name a few. The thread that holds us together is our passion and our great common heart which strives to make Lynchburg an extraordinary place to live.
Club requirements include volunteering in the ETC Shop a certain number of days per year, attending meetings, volunteering for group projects and paying dues. Over the past 67 years LJWC has been able to donate over $400,000 to charities our members are passionate about. LJWC offers extraordinary women ways to meet new people, strengthen our community for all its citizens and build friendships that will last a lifetime.
Where did we come from?
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs, one of the world’s largest and oldest women’s volunteer community service organizations, was founded in 1890 and is headquartered in Washington, D.C. GFWC has more than 100,000 members in affiliated clubs in every state and over a dozen countries. Visit us online at www.gfwc.org.
Welcome to the Alice Kyle District – one of eight districts in GFWC Virginia. Our district is home to 16 Clubs with more than 200 members.
Our District is honored to be named after Alice Aunspaugh Kyle. On May 16, 1907 at the Y.M.C.A. in Lynchburg, the Virginia Federation was organized under the aegis of Alice Kyle. Mrs. Kyle was the state’s first president and affectionately is still referred to as “Mother Kyle” by members throughout the Commonwealth. Alice Kyle lived and is buried in the city of Lynchburg. In 1923 there were six districts and soon the 7th and 8th districts were designated, bringing the number to the present eight; Alice Kyle, named for the Federation, Blue Ridge, Lee, Northern, Shenandoah, Southside, Southwestern and Tidewater. Mrs. Walter Paxton was the first President to serve the District as it was designated in 1923.
How do we raise funds for our projects?
Lynchburg Junior Woman's Club is special and unique due to the continuous source of philanthropic funds generated from our consignment shop, The ETC Shop. Since 1970 The ETC Shop has given us the additional fundraising needed to complete many projects in our community.